How to Decorate Your Home for Fall
The leaves are changing, the air is getting crisp, and you can start to smell the pumpkin spice at every corner. As summer begins to turn into fall and autumn starts to wave hello, the bright summer decorations are heading back into their boxes to make way for fall decor. From your dining room and dining table to your living room and throw pillows, these fall decorating ideas will have your home turned into a fall oasis before you can say “pumpkin spiced latte.”
From white pumpkins and fall wreaths to spiced candles and throw pillows, these decorating ideas will make your home one with the seasons.
Image via Homes to Love
Your living room is often the entertaining focal point of your home, decorating it for fall should be the first decorating priority.
- Add some coziness: Start the process with throw pillows in fall colours, with a little mix of everything from burnt oranges and velvety mustards to rich plums and deep browns. Throw pillows are a great way to change the colour pallet of your living space for a relatively low cost, and they’re reusable from year to year. If you’re feeling fancy, look for one or two throw pillows with texture, contrasting fabrics or patterns to add depth and flavour — you can also completely change the look of your couch by replacing the slipcover with a new, warm coloured slipcover.
- Add heartwarming touches: The fall is the perfect time to start lighting your fireplace after it’s inspected and swept out. If you do not want to start an actual fire, firewood looks homey by itself. A grouping of large thick candles or a candelabra creates a gentler glow in the fireplace without the hassle or chopping wood, and it is quickly extinguished. Quickly decorate the top of the mantel with a simple foilage such as leafy branches. Pro Tip: place them in a vase with multiple acorns or pine cones instead of water, this will keep the branches at the desired angle with an added touch. Adding additional candles to the mantle will bring the same warm glow to eye level. Use a scented candle to bring the smell of fall into your home, too!
Image via Lauren McBride Blog
Whether you’re setting a tablescape for fall dinner or you prefer to use your dining table as another counter, your kitchen and dining room area is simple to spruce up for fall.
- Set your table: So much detail can come just from the dining table, adding warmth and cozy touches to your eating area. Create a focal point on the center of your dining table with some white pumpkins and pine cones, or even a bowl of acorns. Pro tip: hollow out the pumpkin and stuff with floral oasis to create a vase. Fill with either fresh or fake flowers in fall colours to make a stunning centrepiece. Adding natural elements to the table such as wood and burlap will bring autumn to the table in a unique new way.
- Add kitchen details: Switch out your tea towels for fun themed linens to bring cheer to the kitchen. Warm spiced baked goods are the fastest and yummiest way to bring fall into the home, exciting the senses with the taste and smell of fall.
Image via Kindred Vintage
It’s no secret that any well-decorated home starts before you enter, and the fall season makes outdoor fall decorating a breeze.
- Make a welcoming entryway: You’ll be the most autumn-themed home on the block when you add a beautiful fall wreath to your door and line the steps with a mix of orange and white pumpkins. A festive garden mum is great way to extend the growing season, with their hearty stock, these flowers can withstand a few cold snaps. Choose them in a warm colour tone and arrange with pumpkins.
- Add some warmth to your doorstep: Turn off the porch light and instead invest in an oversized lantern or two and illuminate your steps with candle light. Choose electric candles for a fire safe option. The lanterns can be repurposed with different decor for a staple piece for a year round design statement.
From stunning fall colours and cozy throw pillows to white pumpkins on the doorstep, decorating your home for fall has never felt more exciting. If you want some help with fall decorating, connect with Gilbert + Burke’s interior design team today. We would love nothing more than to help you turn your house into a home.