Job Summary Under limited daily supervision and direction of the Site Supervisor, you will perform general carpentry duties: this includes the skill, experience level and responsibility to properly rough frame, roof frame, install drywall, finish work as well as perform related duties. Occasionally duties will be performed unsupervised. You will be required to carry and […]view details
Under limited daily supervision and direction of the Site Supervisor, you will perform general carpentry duties: this includes the skill, experience level and responsibility to properly rough frame, roof frame, install drywall, finish work as well as perform related duties. Occasionally duties will be performed unsupervised. You will be required to carry and move materials within the construction site and when transporting materials to and from work sites. You will also help to maintain a clean job site to ensure complete customer satisfaction and a safe workplace.
Job Skills/ Qualifications
- Proficient operating power saws, planers, joiners, hand tools, and other required machinery and equipment.
- Perform general finish and cabinetwork in the alteration, repair, and maintenance of floors, roofs, walls, stairways, doors, windows and other structures
- Accurately Analyze Blueprints and plans
- Pays close attention to instruction
- Respects and deals well with authority; work well with others; able to work independently
- Problem Solving Skills
- Ability to apply judgment
- Can arrange personal transportation to and from the office
- Must provide own hand tools including:30-foot tape, speed square, chisels, screwdrivers, hammers, chalk line, nail set, nail puller, pry bar
- Must provide own safety boots
- Able to lift weights up to 60 lbs. unassisted
Duties and Responsibilities
- Must possess basic carpentry skills and is expected to meet the quality standards of Gilbert + Burke on every job as outlined by the Site Supervisor and/or Operations Manager
- Various carpentry task checklists are available for use to maintain standards of quality
- Accomplishing detail and thoroughness in each task while working efficiently is the goal
- He/she will always be training to learn new skills and handle additional responsibilities
- Position could qualify to become a Site Supervisor
- Working under the direction of the Site Supervisor, the carpenter is responsible for efficiency and quality in all tasks
- Responsible for following the Company Code of Conduct and report to the job by the time requested with all necessary tools and equipment
- Contact the Operations Manager for assignment before leaving a jobsite if the Site Supervisor does not require you on site for remainder of day/next day
- Complete understanding of the daily timesheet, job codes and importance of representing each job accurately
- Complete the timesheet daily, and submit to Administrative Manager by Monday of the following week
- You are responsible for your own job safety and of those around you
- Compliance with the company Safety Policy and Procedures is imperative
- Compliance with Hazard Assessment Reports is required by the jobsite
- Keep up to date on all legally mandated personal certificate requirements (First Aid, WHMIS, etc.)
- Report any observed safety violations to the Site Supervisor
- Participate in annual Safety Policy review
Job Site and Truck Cleanliness
- Participate in job site and truck cleanliness at the end of each day/week
- Company trucks are to be kept clean and organized to be consistent with our company’s image of professionalism
- You are responsible to assist with the cleanliness and organization of the trucks on a regular basis in cooperation with the production schedule and your responsibilities as a Carpenter
- Ensure protection of finished flooring, surfaces, tubs, etc.
- Ensure adequate dust control in all remodels
The Carpenter may have direct contact with the client from time to time, we expect professional communication with both clients and co-workers
If clients raise any issues with the Carpenter, he/she should refer the client to the Site Supervisor for resolution
Additional Work/Cost Updates
- Familiarity with the scope of work for each job, so that potential additions or deletions that become apparent can be reported to the Site Supervisor
- Report Trade Contractor information to the Site Supervisor that may indicate a change in the scope of work
- Any communication to the client regarding potential Cost Updates will be carried out by the Site Supervisor
- Minimum of 5 years Carpentry experience
- Valid driver’s license
- Carpentry Certification
- Grade 12 Education or Equivalent
We are looking for a highly motivated, co-operative individual who is eager to learn and strive to reach personal and corporate goals.
- Frequent day traveling up to 4 hours
- Exposure to occasional moderate to high levels of noise on construction site
- Working in moderate to high risk construction sites with sometimes high levels of dust
- Considerable amounts of outdoor exposure
Summary Working with the Sales staff and Project Development Manager, the PROJECT DEVELOPER/ESTIMATOR will be responsible for generation of new build and/or remodel project development. Within your portfolio of assigned projects, you will be responsible for obtaining and managing all components required to present pricing and design details to the client. During construction, you will […]view details
Working with the Sales staff and Project Development Manager, the PROJECT DEVELOPER/ESTIMATOR will be responsible for generation of new build and/or remodel project development. Within your portfolio of assigned projects, you will be responsible for obtaining and managing all components required to present pricing and design details to the client. During construction, you will work with the Operations Manager/Site Supervisor to successfully deliver the project. With strong time-management skills you will arrange your own daily schedule, intuitively establishing priorities in an environment subject to change. Having social and customer relations skills you will play a vital role in the overall sales of construction projects.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform all duties included in developing an assigned project, including the following but not limited to:
- Obtaining correct scope of work from Sales, Designer and/or Client.
- Participation in concept drawing stage, revisions of initial Professional Budget Identification as required.
- Perform quantity take-offs, obtain material pricing, labour costs, subtrade quotes and compile into estimate.
- Relaying information to trade contractors and suppliers to receive and evaluate quotes within time deadlines.
- Creating estimate and detailed written Construction Agreement using all relevant software available
- Creation of Purchase Orders – communication with field re: material ordering, value engineering, clarification of estimate,
- Relay of information needed for detailed Job Book for use by Production staff so that the Project will be built as per
estimate and scope of work.
- Participate in Turnover procedure with Production and Sales staff, enabling an informed transition with Site Supervisor and
- Calculation of Additional Work Orders (Cost Updates) in ongoing projects with consistent and effective communications
between client, field personnel, accounting, and sales. Follow all development and review procedures for projects and cost
updates prior to sending to client.
- Build and Maintain relationships with sub trades and suppliers
- Remain in close contact with Interior Designer to ensure correct material pricing is accounted for as well as keeping up to date with any client selection changes.
- Maintain neat, organized electronic files of working documents in each Project file.
- Potential driving to client sites with or without Sales personnel
- Become familiar with energy efficient and “green” building practices. Attendance at energy efficiency –related building courses, (or similar) and related trade shows will be required.
- Become familiar with Passive House building principles and procedures
- Maintain ongoing research of up-to-date building products and practices. Assist with decision-making and implementation of new building products and practices.
- Use current and job audit data to update master estimate with unit rates for future estimates.
Skills & Qualifications
- Knowledge of building construction project components, the building process and the Building Code.
- Advanced computer skills, very proficient in use of Spreadsheets (formula creation), Databases, Estimating and Scheduling software
- Knowledge of CAD programs an asset.
- Ability to conceptualize design ideas when corresponding with clients.
- Excellent internal communication skills, customer relations skills
- Excellent teamwork skills
- Strong self-management, problem solving and organizational skills
- Ability to apply judgment, correctly prioritize tasks
- Ability to work efficiently and effectively within time deadlines, in a fast paced environment, with attention to detail.
- Must have valid “G” drivers license, and use of personal vehicle.
- College Diploma or University degree in construction technology, architectural technology or similar
field or equivalent in experience
- Minimum of 5 Years of carpentry or building experience an asset
- BCIN License an asset
- Interior design qualification an asset
Effort Required to Perform Job
- Mental and visual concentration during paper work and calculating, quick grasp of essential concepts and priorities
- Ability to concentrate despite interruptions and noise
- Ability to cope in stressful environments and with difficult clients
- Discipline to work co-operatively
- Significant use of memory
- Ability to drive a car or pickup truck
- Ability to physically look at some difficult job specific work sites and client sites
- Ability to climb ladders and balance
- Potential day travel up to 5 hours
- Frequent use of computers
- Potential exposure to moderate to high levels of noise on construction site
- Potential visits to high risk construction sites with occasional high levels of dust
- Frequent interruptions both in person and by phone
An Equal Opportunity Employer
Character, Exclusivity and Confidentiality
As with all Gilbert + Burke staff, key competencies in personal character are very important as
measured by management. As an employee of Gilbert + Burke Associates Ltd., these skills must
exist at the highest level and are as follows:
- Accuracy in the correctness of work duties performed,
- Alertness in grasping situations,
- Creativity in finding new or better ways of doing things,
- Friendly and courteous towards clients, fellow workers, vendors, and sub trades,
- Positive attitude and personality,
- Exhibit a professional personal appearance
- Have near perfect attendance, as the whole Team suffers when one person is absent from the Team.
- Pay particular interest/maintain a high degree of orderly housekeeping.
- Dependable and able to perform all tasks so that a minimum of supervision is required,
- Possess a strong sense of drive to get the job done,
- Superior ability to produce quality work,
- Ability to transfer information effectively to administration, client and co-workers.
You are passionate about:
- People, communicating and collaborating well.
- Working with numbers, obtaining and organizing information.
- Outstanding design and finish
- Effectively participating in project development in a fast paced environment.
We are passionate about:
- Helping clients realize their dream homes and cottages.
- Setting each of our team members up for success, personally and professionally.
- Teamwork that engages curiosity, empowers creativity and inspires fun.