Working with the Sales staff and Project Development Manager, the PROJECT DEVELOPER/ESTIMATOR will be responsible for generation of new build and/or remodel project development. Within your portfolio of assigned projects, you will be responsible for obtaining and managing all components required to present pricing and design details to the client. During construction, you will work with the Operations Manager/Site Supervisor to successfully deliver the project. With strong time-management skills you will arrange your own daily schedule, intuitively establishing priorities in an environment subject to change. Having social and customer relations skills you will play a vital role in the overall sales of construction projects.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform all duties included in developing an assigned project, including the following but not limited to:
- Obtaining correct scope of work from Sales, Designer and/or Client.
- Participation in concept drawing stage, revisions of initial Professional Budget Identification as required.
- Perform quantity take-offs, obtain material pricing, labour costs, subtrade quotes and compile into estimate.
- Relaying information to trade contractors and suppliers to receive and evaluate quotes within time deadlines.
- Creating estimate and detailed written Construction Agreement using all relevant software available
- Creation of Purchase Orders – communication with field re: material ordering, value engineering, clarification of estimate,
- Relay of information needed for detailed Job Book for use by Production staff so that the Project will be built as per
estimate and scope of work.
- Participate in Turnover procedure with Production and Sales staff, enabling an informed transition with Site Supervisor and
- Calculation of Additional Work Orders (Cost Updates) in ongoing projects with consistent and effective communications
between client, field personnel, accounting, and sales. Follow all development and review procedures for projects and cost
updates prior to sending to client.
- Build and Maintain relationships with sub trades and suppliers
- Remain in close contact with Interior Designer to ensure correct material pricing is accounted for as well as keeping up to date with any client selection changes.
- Maintain neat, organized electronic files of working documents in each Project file.
- Potential driving to client sites with or without Sales personnel
- Become familiar with energy efficient and “green” building practices. Attendance at energy efficiency –related building courses, (or similar) and related trade shows will be required.
- Become familiar with Passive House building principles and procedures
- Maintain ongoing research of up-to-date building products and practices. Assist with decision-making and implementation of new building products and practices.
- Use current and job audit data to update master estimate with unit rates for future estimates.
Skills & Qualifications
- Knowledge of building construction project components, the building process and the Building Code.
- Advanced computer skills, very proficient in use of Spreadsheets (formula creation), Databases, Estimating and Scheduling software
- Knowledge of CAD programs an asset.
- Ability to conceptualize design ideas when corresponding with clients.
- Excellent internal communication skills, customer relations skills
- Excellent teamwork skills
- Strong self-management, problem solving and organizational skills
- Ability to apply judgment, correctly prioritize tasks
- Ability to work efficiently and effectively within time deadlines, in a fast paced environment, with attention to detail.
- Must have valid “G” drivers license, and use of personal vehicle.
- College Diploma or University degree in construction technology, architectural technology or similar
field or equivalent in experience
- Minimum of 5 Years of carpentry or building experience an asset
- BCIN License an asset
- Interior design qualification an asset
Effort Required to Perform Job
- Mental and visual concentration during paper work and calculating, quick grasp of essential concepts and priorities
- Ability to concentrate despite interruptions and noise
- Ability to cope in stressful environments and with difficult clients
- Discipline to work co-operatively
- Significant use of memory
- Ability to drive a car or pickup truck
- Ability to physically look at some difficult job specific work sites and client sites
- Ability to climb ladders and balance
- Potential day travel up to 5 hours
- Frequent use of computers
- Potential exposure to moderate to high levels of noise on construction site
- Potential visits to high risk construction sites with occasional high levels of dust
- Frequent interruptions both in person and by phone
An Equal Opportunity Employer
Character, Exclusivity and Confidentiality
As with all Gilbert + Burke staff, key competencies in personal character are very important as
measured by management. As an employee of Gilbert + Burke Associates Ltd., these skills must
exist at the highest level and are as follows:
- Accuracy in the correctness of work duties performed,
- Alertness in grasping situations,
- Creativity in finding new or better ways of doing things,
- Friendly and courteous towards clients, fellow workers, vendors, and sub trades,
- Positive attitude and personality,
- Exhibit a professional personal appearance
- Have near perfect attendance, as the whole Team suffers when one person is absent from the Team.
- Pay particular interest/maintain a high degree of orderly housekeeping.
- Dependable and able to perform all tasks so that a minimum of supervision is required,
- Possess a strong sense of drive to get the job done,
- Superior ability to produce quality work,
- Ability to transfer information effectively to administration, client and co-workers.
You are passionate about:
- People, communicating and collaborating well.
- Working with numbers, obtaining and organizing information.
- Outstanding design and finish
- Effectively participating in project development in a fast paced environment.
We are passionate about:
- Helping clients realize their dream homes and cottages.
- Setting each of our team members up for success, personally and professionally.
- Teamwork that engages curiosity, empowers creativity and inspires fun.